Monday, August 28, 2006

 

Mt Pilot Sun 27 Aug

Ben and I met up at about 11 and picked up Steve on the way (Steve does some jumaring while we climb since his elbow is fused from a car accident... he comes out mostly to get some fresh air and get moving which I think is a great idea). Since Ben hadn't been to anything on the eastern side before I thought we'd start there. We ended up spending all day there! First we went down to Flake Off (16) which Ben led. Unfortunately he committed that most grievous of sins and pulled on a draw!! I top-roped it, and it was harder than I remember (probably mostly due to my loosely laced, non-technical shoes). While we were there we had a play on Pegasus (23) and I managed to do one of the hard moves (not the crux though). Ben didn't get much further so we headed over to the unnamed area which has Mt Pilot Unearthed (17) and Helmets On (12). Ben led first again on MPU, mostly because I thought that if I led I would feel frustrated if I didn't do it without falling (I have tried it twice so far). It's a very sustained route, with the crux coming low (there is a misleading obvious hold which Ben, like me, took and subsequently spent 10 minutes arsing around when he ran out of holds). After the crux there's about 12m of slabbing on small crystals (hence my 'sustained' comment). The position which you clip the 2nd bolt from is not comfortable and since you're on small holds you can start panicking a little. Ben ended up grabbing the bolt again :( He was a bit annoyed because he is quite a good climber but is very scared of falling, even on bolts (it's good to be a bit scared but not too much). Eventually he topped out and I followed. This time I fell just after the 3rd bolt when a foothold disintegrated. I think next time I'll lead it, just have to be very careful in choices of footholds.
Next, I led Helmets On with gear, as I wanted to practise placing gear, and also see what kind of gear would go in. It takes pretty good gear (assuming the loose flake doesn't pull when you fall), but it runs out when you step onto the slab (a little less than halfway). Ben pulled the rope and led it too, however he took a lot of convincing to trust the footholds.
It was getting a little cold so Ben and Steve headed back up top and I climbed up again, but this time up a new line that I think would be about 15. Maybe we'll have to "stealth" bolt it???
Ben and I agree that he needs to take some more falls on bolts, so next time we come out he's going to head straight to MPU. I had a good day, I still remember how to place gear and I think I might even be getting better at climbing slabs.
Just need to take my camera next time as there were some awesome photo opportunities on Helmets On!!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?